Help the Individual Who is Alcoholic
Ever fancy a party or dinner without alcoholic drinks?? Hardly any!! Alcohol is a very old drink that has been used in almost every culture. These alcoholic beverages and drinks are a basal need. All over the world, the people consume alcohol at dinners, parties and social get together. Alcohol doesn’t always take you to the drowsy level if taken at a moderate level. Instead, it spurs you up and sense of well being flows down in your body. It loosens you up. Just a shot can’t be as risky as it just impairs brain functions for sometimes making the driving and other works hard to perform, but it fades away in a matter of a day. Here, we need to make it clear “Who is Alcoholic?”
Yet, too many doses at one sitting for a longer period of time like 18 months can lead you to alcohol addiction. Which is hazardous for mental and physical health as it may damage the ruling parts of the brain. This could be very serious and irreversible as it causes liver inflammation, cirrhosis and hepatic encephalopathy which is an ultimate kill for a person who is alcoholic if unchecked. For first timers, it’s just the easy deal. They might have a hangover in the morning with the strong feeling of nausea or diarrhea sometimes. With the nonstop drinking one who is alcoholic can easily step up to the addiction level. There is no doubt that if the person would know well that what is alcoholic then he/she must be able to avoid it.
What is Binge Drinking?
Almost everyone thinks excessive drinking as a feature of an alcoholic. Another term Binge drinking is sometimes associated with alcoholics which are not so true. Binge drinking is something like having more than 3,4 shots in one sitting. It’s no doubt an act of heavy drinking, but it still doesn’t mean that person is alcoholic. Alcoholism means a person crave for alcohol and are not able to get hold on his habit, whereas, a binge drinker is someone who drink too much. Three or more shots for 2 or 3 times in a week and can withhold his craving anytime when wanted. Though, binge drinkers might get alcoholic with time.
Some Facts and Figures Regarding Alcoholics
The ratio of alcoholics is continuously growing up unfortunately. In USA alone, 15% population is alcoholic, and around the world almost 140 million people are alcoholics. Majority of them is not well treated and suffering from health hazards. According to a recent research, it has been found that almost 1700 plus teens die because of much drinking. Another study states 1 death out of 25 is due to alcoholism. Study also concluded that women alcoholics face worst health risks than male ones. However, women alcoholics are less than male alcoholics.
Can We Differentiate Social Drinking and Alcoholism?
Nearly it’s quite impossible to differentiate that “what is social drinking” and “what is an alcoholic”. The purpose is same that is to have a boastful and relaxing time. The difference is a person who is alcoholic knows when and how to stop drinking whereas an alcoholic can’t do that himself. Even he thinks that he is going to a wrong way and should stop at once, but he loses control over himself. He might try to quit drinking but can’t. His thirst can’t be quenched easily and end up drinking more than expected. He always defends himself with lame excuses about heavy work load, depression, relation instabilities and so and so forth. He thinks he can quit, but the reality is always far worst.
There are certain signs and symptoms that can show whether the person is alcoholic or not. Let’s have a look:
- The first and foremost symptom is the disturbance in routine life.
- The individual “who is alcoholic”, hardly takes care of himself
- His appetite decreases and stomach doesn’t work properly
- His work routine differs. Always late and very less concentration on his work and house hold matters. He often come late at home and sleeps tight and gets up late with hangover symptoms sometimes
- He doesn’t even focus on any previously existing healthy activities. His life gets totally upside down
- Moreover, he offends a lot and shows no tolerance in terms of behavior. Check for the tolerance level of alcohol. A person “Who is Alcoholic” shows more tolerance to alcohol. He can drink more than a normal person
- An alcoholic lies a lot if you ask him question about his drinking routine. Because somewhere, deep down he knows he has been doing wrong to his family or himself. That’s why he covers up his drinking time for any knitted lie
- Another sure shot sign includes the time duration. An individual “who is alcoholic” will always be missing at that particular time when he needed to fill up his bloodstream with alcohol level
- The person who is alcoholic can never abide by the law. He sometimes gulps it down just to do rebellious acts or driving drunk as a publicity stunt. It’s called law breaking just for fun sake
- The individual “who is alcoholic” is a person who is in apt to take in excess of alcoholic substances and that habit can’t be beaten easily
- The person gets dependent on alcohol with time. If it is kept abandoned, it can lead to many health risks and further progress can become deadly over time
Being alcoholic is not much like a pest. A person who is alcoholic is just like another citizen who has right to be respected and treated just like the others. It’s just a state that can turn him into some criminal or an abuser. In the early stage, an alcoholic might not appear so sick. They look like normal ones. They keep their posture normal until the cravings set them mad. So if, you notice anyone with these signs and symptoms, do offer him help. It’s your moral duty to educate him and let him know “who is alcoholic”. After all, that’s his choice to get better or not. Many want to get help. For them, many rehab centers are there to help them out.